GIC HIMSS Scholarships
Student Scholarship Program
The Greater Illinois Chapter of HIMSS will be offering 2 Academic Scholarships:
- $2,500 Undergraduate
- $2,500 Graduate
The schedule for development and advertisement of the scholarship program and award of the scholarships for the 2018/2019 program year is as follows:
- September 7, 2018 Application published to web site and process opens
- October 26, 2018 Applications due no later than midnight of October 26
- November 2018 Review of applications and selection of award recipients
- December 2018 GIC HIMSS Board approval of scholarship awards nominees
- January 2019 Award winner notified by email and/or phone call nominees
- April 2019 Scholarship awards presented at a GIC HIMSS event
GIC HIMSS Scholarship Program
Purpose: To provide financial assistance and recognition to qualified students in accredited programs in health management, health information technology, management programs with a health focus, or technology programs with a focus in healthcare information technology.
Objective: Present two (2) scholarship awards to deserving applicants
Program Structure, Eligibility and Award Criteria: A two thousand, five hundred dollar scholarship ($2,500) will be offered to each selected student, ideally one in a graduate program (to include Masters or Doctorate) and the other in an undergraduate program. Participation is open to students who are enrolled in a degree program in an accredited college or university. The recipients of the scholarship will be required to serve as a volunteer on the student liaison committee for one year.
Scholarships will be offered to students in the following types of programs:
- Health information management/technology
- Health management with a focus in information management/technology
- Clinical programs with a focus in information management/technology
- Health science programs with a focus in information management/technology
- Business management programs with a focus in health information management/technology
- Management science programs with a focus in health information management/technology
- Other types of degree programs which emphasize health information management/technology
Participation is open to students who are enrolled in a degree program in an accredited college or university. Certificate programs are not eligible for award.
Eligibility for the scholarship award is based on the following criteria:
Submission of a scholarship application and related documents via email to Development.firstname.lastname@example.org no later than midnight on October 26, 2018.
- Two to three letters of professional recommendation must accompany the application. These should include letters from superiors for whom the applicant has worked with and/or college professors with whom the applicant had studied under.
- A minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0. A most recent transcript(s) must be included with the scholarship application. Unofficial transcripts are sufficient for award consideration.
- A short essay (maximum of three pages) that addresses the following questions:
- Why is information management/technology important in healthcare today?
- Why have you chosen the field?
- What is a major issue facing the health industry and how can information technology address the issue?
Important Note: Students must have completed at least one quarter or semester in their currently enrolled Healthcare Information Technology related degree program.
Criteria for Evaluation of application and award of the scholarship will include, at a minimum:
- Meets or exceeds grade point criterion
- Quality of recommendations
- Quality of applicant essay
Questions? Questions or concerns about the scholarship application process can be directed to:
Greater Illinois Chapter