GIC HIMSS Scholarships
Congratulations to the GIC HIMSS 2017 Undergraduate and Graduate Scholarship Recipients!
Fatima Nawaz is studying Health Information Management at the University of Illinois, Chicago. Her interest in health information technology led her to pursue this degree and her experience with data analysis and coding languages will lead her future career path. Her favorite aspect of the field is that it is continuously advancing. She hopes to pursue a position as a healthcare data analyst after graduation. Fatima’s long term goal is to become a professor. She lives in Glendale Heights, IL
Audria Dotson is a registered nurse with experience in pediatrics, nursery and neonatal intensive care. Dotson works as an Instructional Designer at Northwestern Memorial Hospital teaching the Epic system to all levels of medical professionals. She received her BSN from Bradley University in Peoria and is currently studying for a MS in Health Informatics at the University of Illinois, Chicago. Audria chose this field to make a difference for patient safety and patient care. She is interested in telehealth and helping to increase access to healthcare in rural and urban areas. She resides in Chicago.
GIC HIMSS Scholarship Program
Purpose: To provide financial assistance and recognition to qualified students in accredited programs in health management, health information technology, management programs with a health focus, or technology programs with a focus in healthcare information technology.
Objective: Present two (2) scholarship awards to deserving applicants
Program Structure, Eligibility and Award Criteria:
A two thousand five hundred dollar ($2,500) scholarship will be offered to each selected student - ideally one in a graduate program (to include Masters or Doctorate) and the other in an undergraduate program. Participation is open to students who are enrolled in a degree program in an accredited college or university.
Scholarships will be offered to students in the following types of programs:
- health information management/technology
- health management, with a focus in information management/technology
- clinical programs with a focus in information management/technology
- health science programs with a focus in information management/technology
- business management programs with a focus in health information management/technology
- management science programs with a focus in health information management/technology
- other types of degree programs which emphasize health information management/technology
Participation is open to students who are enrolled in a degree program in an accredited college or university in the State of Illinois or are Illinois residents enrolled in a degree program in an accredited college or university.
Eligibility for the scholarship award is based on the following criteria:
- Submission of a scholarship application and related documents via email to email@example.com no later than 5:00 pm on Friday, November 4, 2016.
- Two to three letters of professional recommendation must accompany the application. These should include letters from superiors for whom the applicant has worked with and/or college professors with whom the applicant had studied under.
- A minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0. A most recent transcript(s) must be included with the scholarship application. Unofficial transcripts are sufficient for award consideration; however, official transcript(s) will be required prior to award distribution.
- A short essay (maximum of three pages) that addresses the following questions:
- Why is information management/technology important in healthcare today?
- Why have you chosen the field?
- What is a major issue facing the health industry and how can information technology address the issue?
- Students must have completed at least one quarter or semester in their currently enrolled Healthcare Information Technology related degree program.
Criteria for Evaluation of application and award of scholarship will include, at a minimum:
- Meets or exceeds grade point criterion
- Quality of recommendations
- Quality of applicant essay
The schedule for development and advertisement of the scholarship program and award of the scholarships for the 2016/2017 program year is as follows:
- September/October 2016: Promote scholarship program and distribute materials
- Fri, November 4th, 2016: Applications due no later than 5:00 pm
- November 2016: Review applications and select award recipients
- January 2017: GICHIMSS Board approval of scholarship awards no
- January 2017: Notify award winners by email and/or phone call no
- February-April 2016: Present scholarship awards at a GICHIMSS Event
Questions or concerns about the scholarship application process can be directed to:
- Lauren Wiseman: firstname.lastname@example.org